Saturday, December 26, 2015

Isaiah 46:1-13

Isaiah 46:1-13 NIV
Bel bows down, Nebo stoops low; their idols are borne by beasts of burden. The images that are carried about are burdensome, a burden for the weary. They stoop and bow down together; unable to rescue the burden, they themselves go off into captivity.
“Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob, all the remnant of the people of Israel, you whom I have upheld since your birth, and have carried since you were born. Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
“With whom will you compare me or count me equal? To whom will you liken me that we may be compared? Some pour out gold from their bags and weigh out silver on the scales; they hire a goldsmith to make it into a god, and they bow down and worship it. They lift it to their shoulders and carry it; they set it up in its place, and there it stands. From that spot it cannot move. Even though someone cries out to it, it cannot answer; it cannot save them from their troubles.
“Remember this, keep it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels. Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’ From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do.
Listen to me, you stubborn-hearted, you who are now far from my righteousness. I am bringing my righteousness near, it is not far away; and my salvation will not be delayed. I will grant salvation to Zion, my splendor to Israel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Isaiah 46 is a message delivered toward the Israelites in exile in Babylon. To borrow an old phrase, some Israelites when in Babylon do as the Babylonians do. They worshiped the idols of the people who held them captive. The reason Israelites are exiled in Babylon is for similar behavior in Judea. They began to provoke God by worshiping the gods of the neighboring nations. Isaiah 46 announces deliverance, but at the same time confronts Israel's idolatry.
Isaiah first looks to the behavior of the Babylonians. They carry their gods into battle or in festival parades. BEL (also known as Marduk) and NEBO (also known as Nabu) are Babylonian gods. The prophet says they are cumbersome to carry about, but the Babylonians do it. By implication, Isaiah contrasts the Babylonians handling of their gods to the way Israel was handle the Ark of the Covenant. The ark was carried on long poles, specially designed for this sole purpose, on the shoulders of Levites, holy to this task. The idols of the Babylonians are carried by cattle or horses, even donkeys. The wobble of the cart causes the idol to potentially topple. The gods stoop and bow during their transport, which a true God would not likely do. Now Babylon will stoop and bow. They will be humbled by God's servant, Cyrus, the Persian ruler who will conquer Babylon. This means liberty for captive Israel.
God calls out to Israel. Remarkably God says, "I carry you." The Babylonians carry their gods on carts drawn by oxen, but Israel is carried by their God! What a beautiful comparison! Idol worshipers make their gods, but God made Israel and carries them their whole life long!
God asks who compares, which god is anything like Yahweh? Idols are dumb. They do not speak as The Lord does. They cannot move on their own, but God led Israel through the wilderness for 40 years, appearing as a pillar of cloud by day, and of fire by night. Will Israel not remember? Will they not acknowledge that none compare to Yahweh?
"Listen to me", God implores. Remember who God is! Yahweh is the One and only God. There is no other. He makes known the future, even from the beginning of time.
Isaiah 46:10 NIV
I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’
The omniscient God can't be challenged. Whatever He decrees will come to pass. And The Lord decrees liberty for His captive people. Though they have broken God's covenant, and His heart, by worshiping idols, the Lord will rescue His chosen. From the east God sends a bird of prey, a man named Cyrus, king of Persia. He will conquer Babylon and the Israelites will be sent back to Judea, free to serve the Lord in righteousness. Though the idol-worshiping, stubborn-hearted Israelites are far away from practicing the righteous laws of the covenant, God is bringing His righteousness to them and will save them.
The beauty of these comparisons in Isaiah 46 cannot be understated. The mercy of God is tremendous. While other nations carry their gods, God carries Israel and sustains them. While Idolaters make gods shaped from gold, God made a nation to worship and serve Him. While Israel ignores God by turning to Babylonian idols, God is ever more attentive to wayward Israel and brings them salvation from their captors. Clearly Israel doesn't deserve such a love as this, yet God has chosen Israel and is faithful.
God is the same today, yesterday and forever. Just as He acted to save unworthy and rebellious Israel, God acted to save us while we were sinners.
Romans 5:8 NIV
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Can you think of any other who compares to such a love? Then bow down and worship the One true God who made you, carries you and saves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment