Thursday, December 24, 2015

Isaiah 44:1-9, 14-15, 19-22, 24, 28

Isaiah 44:1-9, 14-15, 19-22, 24, 28 NIV
“But now listen, Jacob, my servant, Israel, whom I have chosen. This is what the Lord says— he who made you, who formed you in the womb, and who will help you: Do not be afraid, Jacob, my servant, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen. For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. Some will say, ‘I belong to the Lord’; others will call themselves by the name of Jacob; still others will write on their hand, ‘The Lord’s,’ and will take the name Israel.
“This is what the Lord says— Israel’s King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come— yes, let them foretell what will come. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.”
All who make idols are nothing, and the things they treasure are worthless. Those who would speak up for them are blind; they are ignorant, to their own shame. He cut down cedars, or perhaps took a cypress or oak. He let it grow among the trees of the forest, or planted a pine, and the rain made it grow. It is used as fuel for burning; some of it he takes and warms himself, he kindles a fire and bakes bread. But he also fashions a god and worships it; he makes an idol and bows down to it. No one stops to think, no one has the knowledge or understanding to say, “Half of it I used for fuel; I even baked bread over its coals, I roasted meat and I ate. Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left? Shall I bow down to a block of wood?” Such a person feeds on ashes; a deluded heart misleads him; he cannot save himself, or say, “Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?” “Remember these things, Jacob, for you, Israel, are my servant. I have made you, you are my servant; Israel, I will not forget you. I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you.”
“This is what the Lord says— your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: I am the Lord, the Maker of all things, who stretches out the heavens, who spreads out the earth by myself, who says of Cyrus, ‘He is my shepherd and will accomplish all that I please; he will say of Jerusalem, “Let it be rebuilt,” and of the temple, “Let its foundations be laid.” ’
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Isaiah 44 is much like Isaiah 43. Both reveal God's intimate feelings of love and commitment to Israel. Both announce redemption. Both warn about idol worship. While there is repetition Isaiah 44 has its own beauty, specifically the lengthy description of an idol maker in verses 9-20.
The chapter begins by calling Israel to listen to the voice of the One who made them, who formed them in the womb. God tells the Hebrew exiles not to fear, referring to Israel as Jacob and Jeshurun.
Jacob was Israel's original name. God have Jacob the new name and new identity when He blessed Jacob at the Jabbok.
Genesis 32:28 NIV
Then the man (the Lord) said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”
But Jeshurun is not as prevalent. The name appears only four times in the Bible, once here in Isaiah and three times in Deuteronomy. The name means upright or beloved righteous. The appearance of Jeshurun in Deuteronomy is part of a song of Moses, just prior to His death, his last words recorded for Israel. They are like final instructions and blessings upon the 12 tribes of the sons of Jacob. Only one of the references uses Jeshurun as subject. The other references has God as the subject and Jeshurun as the object.
Deuteronomy 32:15
Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; filled with food, they became heavy and sleek. They abandoned the God who made them and rejected the Rock their Savior.
In this verse we notice an odd pairing. Jeshurun, which means upright, is shown as unfaithful to God, not righteous at all. Moses prophesied that Israel would become complacent and turn to idolatry. And now in Isaiah Moses' words are revisited.
There are many ideas in the song of Moses in Deuteronomy 32 which appear in Isaiah 44. God is referred to as Rock in both. God gives birth to Israel in both. Idolatry is denounced in both. The Jews who know the law, the first five books of the bible, would catch these references. Isaiah, by using the name Jeshurun is pointing to Moses' song in Deuteronomy. The other references to the name say that God is king over Jeshurun and there is no one like their God. Isaiah certainly uses the latter idea in chapter 44.
Just the very use of the name Jeshurun opens up a searching of Moses and we find an implied message. The upright nation has failed to be so and God their king has chastised them, but now He is forgiving them, just as Moses predicted.
It's ironic to use the name for upright when Israel has not been righteous. Their idol worship is a glaring contradiction. And that is the rhetorical purpose. The odd pairing of Jeshurun to Jewish Idolaters makes the painful point that Israel was called to be holy and worship only Yahweh, but has not. The ten commandments specifically say don't worship other gods and don't make idols to represent God. But Israel has not listened.
Now God addresses Israel in exile. Will they listen as He calls to them? He comforts them with the notion that He will pour out His Spirit on their children. They will be revived and numerous. Israel will rebound and become faithful to the Lord once more. They will carry His name on their lips and hearts. They will inscribe His name on their hands, acknowledging that they belong to God alone.
God, their Rock, describes how a man foolishly makes an idol to worship from a piece of wood. Even if they overlay the wood with gold foil it is still wood. That piece of wood came from a tree. Part of the tree was used for firewood. What makes the wooden idol godlike?
Isaiah 44:9 NIV
All who make idols are nothing, and the things they treasure are worthless. Those who would speak up for them are blind; they are ignorant, to their own shame.
The idolater makes an idol from wood to worship, but God made Israel to worship Him. I love how the prophet turns the idea of fashioning an idol to the fact that God is fashioning Israel to be His holy people through the exile.
Now the Ruler of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things, is bringing them back to Jerusalem and Judea. Will they listen? Will they remember the lesson? Will we?

No comments:

Post a Comment