Friday, November 20, 2015

Isaiah 12:1-6

Isaiah 12:1-6 NIV

In that day you will say:

“I will praise you, Lord. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me. Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.”

With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. In that day you will say: 

“Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted. Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world. Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel among you.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Isaiah 12 wraps up the oracle concerning Israel and Judah's punishment at the hands of the Assyrians and their promised restoration at the hands of God. God uses the Assyrians to discipline His wayward children, but of those who survive the invasion and exile, God will return a portion back to the promised land to renew His mission to bless the world through holy community. After the exile has achieved its purpose to shape Israel and teach them obedience, God will turn His wrath toward Assyria and chastise them for their arrogance and bloodlust. All nations belong to the Lord and all are His concern. Israel has a special relationship and mission among the nations to be holy and tell of the greatness of God. Isaiah 12 reflects this calling.

God promised to restore Judah and Israel as one nation under the leadership of a son of David, the shoot of the stump of Jesse. This messianic figure will lead the nation in righteousness and justice. Their blessed society will be a light to the nations and they will flock to this holy community and its king seeking to know their God. Isaiah 12 celebrates these promises.

First the prophet says what the Israelites will say when all that God has promised comes true. Once they've returned from exile and are enjoying the blessed life living faithfully in covenant with God and each other, they will reflect on all that has occurred and praise the Lord. They will celebrate that God's anger has turned to compassion and comfort. They will proclaim God's salvation first to themselves, then to all the world.

Isaiah 12:2 NIV

Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.”

Isaiah 12:4 NIV

“Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted.

I notice that the personal acknowledgment of God's saving acts leads to public celebration and sharing the good news with others. Recently I've become a grandfather. I post pictures of our little cherub on Facebook with regularity celebrating her with my friends. When something good is happening you just naturally want to celebrate and tell others. In the same way Isaiah is saying that Israel and Judah will once again bind their hearts to the Lord and their joy will be in His salvation. They will "draw water from the wells of salvation" with joy. They will want to tell others.

What does it mean to draw water from the wells of salvation? Water cleanses, refreshes and gives life. Without water we wither and die. With plenty of water everything in the body works efficiently. Just as the body needs water, the soul needs God. Knowing that God is invested in my life is salvation from hopelessness. Trusting God frees me from fears about the future and a great many other things. Having Christ as my saviour quenches a thirst within my soul I didn't know I had.

Life teaches us that we have this thirst. There's nothing in this world that can satisfy it. We keep striving for the betterment of our lives but satisfaction eludes us. No pleasure lasts and each thrill requires a bigger and better high or somehow it fails to satisfy our thirst. Eventually we learn that only God our creator can quench this longing within. We were made for Him. Until we come to the Lord in love and obedience we will remain restless wanderers. But when we place our trust in the Lord, our joy cannot be contained. We celebrate openly and tell others.

So praise, sing and tell of the joy of your salvation in Christ who has delivered you from estrangement from God through forgiveness and restored you to God through grace. Shout aloud and sing for joy, for great is the Holy One among you.

No comments:

Post a Comment